Medications in School


All medications students will need during the day must have a doctor’s order and/or Authorization for Administration of Medication Form on file and the medication must be held in the nurse’s office. Please note: Medical provider orders for medications must be renewed at the beginning of every school year.

Authorization for Administration of Medication Form

The Authorization for Administration of Medication form, available on the Forms page, grants permission for nurses to provide specific medications to students during the school day.  It also provides a space for the prescribing physician to order the dose and schedule for administration.

This form may be used for:

  • Standard items such as Tylenol, Motrin, aspirin and other over the counter drugs
  • Short or longer term prescription medication such as inhalers and epipens

Please note: If a student often uses an over the counter medication, parents/guardians may provide an Authorization for Administration of Medication form for standard medications at the beginning of every school year. The doctor’s order for that medication must be provided and the medication must be in the original container, properly labeled for that student.


Medications must be delivered to the nurse’s office by a parent or responsible adult. The medication must be in the original container dispensed from the pharmacy with proper labeling of the student’s name, pharmacy name and number, licensed provider’s name, name and dosage of medication, frequency of administration, method of administration, date and any other instructions.

Students will be allowed to report to the nurse’s office so medication can be dispensed to them during the day. Students should be encouraged to report to the nurse at the scheduled time. It is best to give medication within 60 minutes before or after the prescribed time.

All students are allowed to carry an Epipen and an inhaler if they are classified as Independent.

Student medication categories

Students fall into 3 categories with regard to medication:

Independent students

Student is able to self-administer/self-carry if the healthcare provider and parent order the medication and have agreed the student is able to self-administer and self-carry. The nurse will instruct the student how to safely store and carry medication in school.

Independent students are not required to keep their medication such as an Epipen or asthma inhaler in the nurse’s office. Their medication needs rapid administration.  A written order is still required to be on file in the nurse’s office.

Type 1 diabetic students are allowed by NY State Law to test their blood sugar in any area of the school building.  Monroe-Woodbury protocol is that the blood sugar number must be reported to the nurse’s office to ensure student safety throughout the day.

Supervised students

Student has been determined to need supervision with medication by the nurse or their medical provider. Supervised students must report to the nurse’s office for all medication. They should be able to state the name, amount time and effect of taking or not taking the medication. They will recognize what the medication looks like and will refuse to take the wrong medication or the wrong amount. They can swallow, inhale, apply, calculate and take the correct dose or will request adult help as needed.

Nurse-Dependent students

Student cannot self-administer and must have their medication administered by the nurse or nurse-teacher.

Important note regarding field trips

All students who are in need of an Epipen for allergies or an inhaler for asthma must have a doctor’s order/Authorization to Administer form on file and must  have their medication available in the nurse’s office or with them on the trip. Any student who does not have a doctor’s order and medication cannot be allowed to participate in a field trip.